General Volunteer Position Description
General Volunteer Position Description (vans and fixed assets)
Team Leader and Service Coordinator/Service Leader
Orange Sky HQ Team
Australia or New Zealand - pending shift location you apply for
1 x (2-4 hour) shift each week/fortnight (not including travel time)
Regular commitment to be made for 6 months to ensure consistency of service with friends
As a General Volunteer (GV), the purpose of your role is to engage with all people during your Orange Sky shift and assist with driving the van, shower operations, and having genuine conversations with friends, service providers and other volunteers.
We have laundry vans, shower vans and fixed pods in our different service locations. The service you’ll be required to operate will depend on your location and our volunteering needs in that area.
You will develop close working relationships with:
- Friends (people experiencing homelessness)
- Team leader(s) and other volunteers
- Service Coordinator(s) and Service Leader(s)
- Service providers (partners we work with on shift)
- Orange Sky HQ Employees
As a member of the Orange Sky (OS) team in support of our mission, vision and values, your responsibilities are as follows:
- Operate the OS vehicle only within the shift times advertised, and in full accordance with Orange Sky’s safety procedures.
- Abide by all policies and procedures in the OS Volunteer Handbook while representing OS on shift, at events, online or at any other time.
- Report all incidents that occur, no matter how small or insignificant and participate in any follow up communications required in the debriefing process.
- Must take reasonable steps to respond to all communication in a timely manner via phone, email or in person with all other members of the Orange Sky Family.
- Engage in positive and genuine conversations with all friends, volunteers, service partners and members of the public.
- Assist in driving the van to shift (if applicable).
- Actively engage with and utilise Orange Sky’s technical resources such as the OS App and Volaby.
- Help to train newer volunteers on shift operations, onsite hazards/mitigation strategies and Volaby operation.
- Attend team social events e.g. birthday and Christmas celebrations.
- Ensure friends have access to a safe warm shower, by following shower operational procedures.
As a general volunteer, you are expected to be able to assist with/complete the below activities when on shift:
- Assist in unpacking and packing the van, including chairs, washing baskets and other equipment
- Carry washing baskets of clothing
- Load and unload the machines, which may include climbing into the back of the van to do so
- Conduct positive, non judgemental conversations with our friends, volunteers and service providers on shift
- Cleaning machines and showers (pending van/asset type at your location)
- Assisting with reeling and unwinding hoses and laying them out
- Lifting, carrying and placing trip guards as needed and then packing into van
- Communicate via WhatsApp for team updates
- Complete reports via our online volunteer system, Volaby
Selection Criteria and Qualifications
To be considered for a volunteer position with Orange Sky, applications must:
- Demonstrate the characteristics of an Orange Sky person.
- Demonstrate their willingness and ability to engage in clear verbal conversations of a positive and non-judgmental nature with people experiencing homelessness.
- Have the physical ability to operate equipment including the washing machines, dryers, generator/power, hoses/tanks and clean showers.
- Be able to comprehend and adhere to all safety and operational procedures.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Orange Sky and their mission to positively connect communities.
- Be over 18 years of age, and able to complete all tasks listed above.
- If applicable, you need to be able to comply with any Government Health and vaccine mandates that may be brought in.
- Be able to comply with, or obtain any relevant checks or licences that may be required for volunteering with vulnerable populations in the relevant states and territories.